Saturday, 1 August 2015

Margate Mobbed as sunshines for the Carnival weekend

We have just had to queue in the car to get along Margate sea front. The traffic came to a standstill before we got into Westbrook. Not quite as busy as I remember things in the 1970's when I first started courting my wife, in those days the traffic jams started at Brooksend all through Birchington bumper to bumper all the way to Margate. It was great to see Margate Main Sands busy and it was not only the roads that were  busy, as we passed the Railway Station crowds of people poured out of the station. Buses were also busy maybe no packed but plenty of people heading into Margate to take advantage of  the sun sea and sand.
I am of an age I can remember the 1960's and the last throes of Margates hey days. In those days before the foreign package holidays and two weeks paid holidays day trips to the coast were the norm and a weeks  stay in a guest house was de riguer peoples expectations were capped at a day trip  to France as being a foreign holiday. We have all heard stories about how tough the land lady's were and I am pleased to say Margate no longer is the but of jokes but often praised by articles in daily newspapers and glossy magazines about the quality of the Hotels that now abound in not only in Margate but all of Thanets Towns.
This weekend Margate is hosting the big Soul Weekend with bands and DJ's working the crowds and I am pleased to say this annual event now been going since 2002 and has gone from strength to strength. and this year has over forty bands and DJ's entertaining people over the Carnival Weekend.
Everyone loves a carnival and I expect the seafront and carnival route to be packed as the floats wend their way from Cliftonville to Westbrook which is a reversal of the normal route that I remember. I have been to dozens of carnivals over the years and so many people put so much into entertaining the supporters they all deserve medals.


image from Thanet Gazette website

1 comment:

  1. Carnivals are not really my cup of tea, but I agree with you completely that those who stage them and take part invest a huge amount of time, energy and talent. They deserve high praise for the enjoyment they give and the benefits they bring to their areas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed