Monday, 5 January 2015

Thanet and independent traders for the love of Thanet

Margate's regeneration has been bought about on the backs of our indie traders, yes the Turner Contemporary has played a huge part in the overall package but the likes of hotels and shop keepers brewers and resteraunts have been vital in the bigger picture. I am old enough to remember the old Margate queues of traffic back to the Saint Nicolas round about hundreds of coaches and a seafront packed with day trippers. Dreamland and kiss me quick hats, those were the days. But package holidays put paid to the hotels and guest houses and people wanted more than Thanet could offer. As a destination I guess we didn't cut the mustard any more. But With the arrival of the shopping centre at Westwood Cross and the demise of the traditional high street Margate Broadstairs and Ramsgate could have rolled over and died. But things changed.
Margate has a thriving cafe culture, yes it's a bit quiet in January but then so are most seaside towns and that is a perfect reason to visit. Ramsgates wonderful Royal harbour is is fronted by cafe's and bars and fantastic eateries. I am in my wheelchair and I tend not to eat out as I once did but with three children and their countless mates I get reports on a large proportion of Thanet' s venues for food beverage and entertainment. We may not be London but we offer the stuff and are more reasonably priced. Thanet can hold its head high on all fronts and talking of things London many people are relocating from the Smoke to a life by the sea either starting businesses here or working to a work life balance that offers more fun beside the seaside. I spoke only today who splits his time between Cliftonville and the capital.
The Island still offers bargain prices for people in the property market and now Mortgages are more readily accessible we can see homes being snapped up by locals and informed alike. I was once an income thirty odd years ago but Margate is now home I love the sea sand  and sunshine, yes I know it was foggy today but look how glorious it turned out. I reguard myself lucky to live here, I love Thanet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed