Monday, 8 September 2014

UKIP Thanet South and my Sandwich Walk

Red Cow Pub from Market Car Park

The Butts


pretty view

We went for a walk yesterday, I use the term walk loosley as I am in a wheelchair  so I was pushed and Heather the one doing the pushing. The walk was in Sandwich which is not high on my list of disabled friendly destinations. I have encountered more dropped curbs on but no dropped curbs off in Sandwich than anywhere else. So if any local town planners reading this please note what goes on a dropped curb must come off a dropped curb. Sandwich will be and is in Thanet South and in all probability be Nigel Farrages seat after the next election. Having now been a Thanet resident for over thirty years and spent part of that time living in Thanet South I was surprised at how large the area is on the map.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UauoQ6hHTz8/S8CB-Q6HtEI/AAAAAAAACkI/c-S9fiI1EAE/s1600/after.JPG
Map taken from one of Michael Childs blog Posts

My usual haunt in Sandwich is along the Quay and the wonderful walks out over the marshes. If anyone from the council reading this any chance of cutting back some of the overhanging branches and trimming the errant stinging nettles (ouch). I have often posted about our walks and family picnics in that area near the Secret Gardens, such a silly name ask anyone in Sandwich where they are and they explain in great detail. Worst kept secret ever if you ask me!
This visit we parked in the Market car park and headed past the Red Cow Pub and eventually ended up on the Buttsand we walked from the middle to both ends. It was a walk I had never done before and I wish I had. I knew about the existance of the Butts from previous visits but had never walked along the beautiful area until yesterday. The Butts form part of the medieval protection and boundry of the Cinque Port of Sandwich. I am not going to write the history of Sandwich here other than to say the Butts were where archers went to practice shooting long bows and that is how the walk we took got its name.
I had my camera and Heather kept stopping for me to get the ideal shot of something or another. I must say the childrens play area by the cricket club was busy with skate boarders on proper facilities, knock knock TDC where are our two new skate parks. Yesterday was great, we managed to find a new walk one we will be doing again and I had someone with me able to help negotiate the lack of dropped curbs, I would have been miffed having to turn round and go all the way back. I have in the past on Sandwiches narrow pavements had to reverse for what seemed miles to get back to a dropped curb I had got onto the pavement from, GRRRR. Town Planners please think about us wheelchair users.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed