Sunday, 27 October 2013

Wrens Robins and Blue Tits

I have just spent half an hour sitting at our back window with the camera hoping to catch a few shows of the garden birds. No such luck whilst there has been several birds visit the garden none went onto the feeders and no one of them obliged with posing for the camera. Now for me this was a minor inconvenience and I now have no pictures to put into this post it got me thinking about the birds. All the time I was at the window I could see a Collard Dove in next doors tree, it is well hunkered down and all its feathers are puffed out to keep it warm. I wonder how it will fair over the coming night with storm force winds and torrential rain? Will it survive the coming onslaught? I am lucky, I might be disabled and unable to get out of my wheelchair to get the best shots with my camera but tonight when the wind is howling and the rain is lashing down on the Wrens Robins and the Blue Tits I will be indoors with my central heating and a warm bed to get into. The birds are less lucky the rain will soak them the wind will bash them and the cold will kill many of them. Our fathered friends give so much pleasure and deserve our help. Put some food out for them, and I don't mean chuck some mouldy bread out on the lawn,  they will eat it but the nutritional value is low and this time of year the birds need good quality food. I am not saying don't chuck them some bread but put out some feeders with some sunflower hearts or nyger seed if you put it out for them the birds will come.
 All the birds need our support through the tough months ahead and this weekend is the winter. If you start putting food out for the birds keep it up they will become regular visitors to your garden and will be relying on you for their dinner so if you stop the energy used up getting to your garden will have been wasted and may well be for them a matter of life and death. So put out seeds and also water it is vitally important when the temperature gets down to zero that you keep it ice free which means popping out ad  topping it up or breaking any ice so birds can get to fresh water. Do not add anything to it to stop it freezing it will poison  them. This small effort on your behalf will be rewarded by some fantastic displays in your garden. Birds are beautiful and repay you with their beauty it is natures way of saying thanks.
I often make my own fat balls and here is a link for a recipe. There are lots of them available on the internet. I find the birds will eat homemade quality fat cakes very quickly so be prepared.

LINKS
RSPB
British Trust for Ornithology
fat ball recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed