Monday, 12 December 2011

computer scam calls again

Two days running I have had calls from a foriegn sounding person claiming I have a virus on my comnputer. This scam is to get you to buy unwanted or need software over the phone from someone who claims you have a virus they have found on there system. I do know someone who paid them £100 to cure the  virus so they can seem plausable. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. It is a fraud if you check the web there are hundreds of pages hilighting this scam. Click here for BBC

3 comments:

  1. O yes get quite a few of these - When I ask for the number of their head office they usually hang up - had one t'other day claiming to represent an insurance claim firm - said I'd had an accident and been paid out for damage but I was due more and he had the papers - I strung him along for a while and he claimed to be working from Manchester - gave a postcode and an 0845 phone number - he got a bit annoyed when I said I hadn't had a car for 6 years - but you said I did - no you said I did - afterwards I googled the phone number and it belonged to a mortgage brokers in Ellesmere Port.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The accident chaser is a bit different from the computer maintenance/virus scamers who's real aim is to get your credit card or bank detrails.
    Just tell them you dont have a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play them along on the stupid assumption that the longer they spend with me the less time they have to find someone to steal money from. I am signed up to the telephone preference scheme sp when you dp as Gerald did and ask for a phone number and address the line goes dead. I feel sorry for those who like my friend who they do convince and manage to con lots of money out of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed