Saturday, 16 April 2011

Turner Contemporary has opened

Yep its here and it is now . My countdown ticker has done its work. Today is the day. I watched the local news last night and they estimate ten thousand visitors over this weekend. I hope so and I hope the local restaurant are coping ok. I  for one am delighted but would like to apologise to one blogger called Jeff who left a comment that needed moderation. My comments section never needs moderation unless the language used is offensive. I unfortunately deleted your comment and if you care to leave a comment that does not attract the attention of the moderator please do. I understand no everyone likes the building, I don't like all modern buildings and much prefer the 18th century but in the 21st century we need 21st century buildings not 300 year old thinking.
I loved being inside the Turner the building is fantastic and for Margate to have a David Chipperfield designed gallery is also fantastic. Sir David Chipperfied has designed magnificent buildings around the world. I am not going to list them here Google can return far more details than I can. But now Margate have an international building and I for one am proud of it and I am proud of Margate. Lets stop knocking Margate but put that energy into something good. go down to Margate old town. Yes Margate has got a cultural quarter its nopt far from the High Street and its empty shops, each of those shops is an opportunity for someone to start their own dream. Margate is mobbed I am sitting here writing this and the news is showing  crowds at  Margate harbour.

5 comments:

  1. Don what did you think of the exhibition? I haven’t seen it yet as I am working today and hope to get over there next week. I haven’t seen the Turner they have managed to get hold of either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind the exhibition parts are good parts very good the turner so so but the notes etc great I will go back again next week. The building is fantastic it is so fit for purpose tthat it is the star of show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sum the building up in one word - hideous.

    It looks like a power station, or a bus terminal. It makes you think of an industrial estate.

    Why?

    It is so out of quilter with the look of Margate (Victorian, Georgian - even Regency). It is a mistake - bird droppings in a week & graffiti sooner is my suspicion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don went yesterday and took some pictures, which I posted linked to mi blog, help yourself to them if you didn’t take any yourself. I too will be going again.

    Trapunto or Applique 10.02

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon 10:02 Have you checked the date? I am certain they no longer build in Victorian, Georgian or Regency the building is built for purpose in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed