Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Tate Margate "no you mean Turner Contemporary"


I went to one of the pre opening events of the Turner Contemporary last night with Ross my Son-in-law. It was great I met several people who I had only ever 'met' online before and got to see the inside of the Turner for the first time. I was amazed how many were there people arriving by coach and the temporary car park was mobbed. Ross got the job of pushing me around in the wheelchair and obviously the building is disabled friendly. The evening kicked off with what I believe was Kentish sparkling wine and canap├ęs (I helped make the rare breed pork ones become extinct). Next came the speeches and a very nice young lady from Tate London spoke about the journey to date and mentioned they keep getting phone calls asking when the Tate Margate is opening hence this posts title. Next Nick Crane the guy with the umbrella from BBC's Coast programme spoke of his love of the Kent Coast and wished the Gallery every success and then came Victoria Pomeroy. She has spent ages working away to get the Turner to this point and you can see she is delighted nervous and apprehensive. She can be proud of her work and she mentioned a few of the countless people who are and have been involved in the journey. I was very pleased with the Turner and I wish it every possible success and hope it helps rejuvenate Thanet. 


I would have posted some pictures but having asked and been told there was to be no photography inside untill afer Saturday I left the camera at home. I should have kept my mouth shut everyone else was snapping away. The moral of this story is dont ask incase you an answer you dont want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed