Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Todays buzz word UPCYCLING

 Twice in less than 24 hours. Yep, never heard of it before and in less than a day I come across two times. Yesterday Sue and Chris up at Ron Scotts Furnituremart sent out the monthly newsletter and mentioned they have a new tenant who does UPCYCLING. And then I log on this morning and check twitter and come across it again. I must lead a sheltered life cos when I google it there are millions of entrys. Evidently rather than just plane recycling upcycling takes waste products and "Upcycling (unlike recycling) is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value, leading to a higher material and energy benefits.”   
My Mother in law was Upcycling years ago so was my nan and anyone who like me had a woolen jumper knitted out of an unknitted cardigan that Uncle Arthur had donated to the cause. The only difference with the old UPCYCLING was necessity, We could not afford new jumpers so old ones were unpicked Girls made new dresses out of there aunts cast off. Nowadays it seems old technology is hip, I wonder how long before ringworm and rickets are fashionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed