Friday, 26 November 2010

Vote for changes for PR or AV or First Past Post

I don't often mention politics or National issues but this is something I feel strongly about. I think the present system of first past the post is out dated and elitist. I also think PR and AV are complicated. What I do think is that we need some sort  of change to get people to actually get out and vote. I don't know what the answer is but staying with first past the post just because it is how we have always done it that way is no answer. I heard one of the Tories I cant remember his name on the radio this morning and his attitude was we have always done it and will continue to do so, RUBBISH. That sort of attitude is exactly what Politicians are disliked for. I know PR and AV are not perfect but with the current system only being used by a fraction of those who are able to vote that doesn't seem to be engaging the voters either. Hague William Hague sounded like a pompous twit on the radio this morning. I just read a quote from Nick Clegg on the current system :-
The pro-AV campaign launched its programme in September, Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg saying the current system was "not fit for purpose" and "a relic that deserves to be consigned to the past".
.Read the rest of the BBC article here
and he looks like one here

7 comments:

  1. It is right we should have a discussion about our electoral system and the referendum on the subject will be interesting. Certainly at the moment it seems most Tories support the old FTP, Lib/Dems favour PR but will settle for AV and Labour are divided on the issue.

    My concern is that, seeing the stick the Lib/Dems have had to take for joining in a coalition with the largest party, is that to become the order of the day if we switch to AV. Such a change, as with many of our European neighbours, will invariably necessitate coalitions and, if the current situation is anything to go by, it does not sit easily in this country.

    The poor old Lib/Dems could become the whipping boys everytime as they are now and were back in the days of Jeremy Thorpe's infamous Lib/Lab pact.

    How pleasing to find a site without that conspiracy nutter by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol no doubt he will find me or you should I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess you are right, Don. I rather fell into the trap of letting all that garbage about police states and masonic plots get to me and, now foolishly as I realise, responded. No more for I intend to stay in safer waters.

    Still think it is a shame that we cannot have a decent debate about the topic raised by the blogger, in this case for example being voting reform, without these injections. Takes all sorts I guess. You take care and keep promoting the isle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

    ReplyDelete
  6. О! Ho cercato sul web cercando di trovare idee su come ottenere il mio sito blog personale codificati, il tuo stile attuale e il tema sono meravigliosi. Hai il codice che la vostra auto o hai assumere un programmatore per farlo fare per lei personalmente?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a nice article to read, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed