Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Fat Balls For the Birds


I got this recipe from Denise's Blog An English Girl Rambles. It is what she makes for her birds in the winter in her home in America, I do something similar and add Wild Bird Seed rather than the peanut butter. The birds love the home made food over the shop bought fatballs. I never have the chance to freeze any as my birds invite all their friends and fill up on my concoctions keeping us busy making more. The RSPB has recipes from various celebrities for winter food for our birds CLICK HERE to downlooad them
 
2 cups (1 block) lard
1 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 cup Oatmeal
1 cup unbleached Wholemeal  flour
1 cup of cornmeal or wheat germ

Melt the lard a little in a big glass bowl (30 seconds in the microwave) and mix all of the ingredients together. It gets a bit messy. Line a rectangular pan with a sheet of wax paper and press the mixture in. Pop it in the freezer for an hour or so, then cut into blocks. The smaller ones work best (4" x 2"), because the birds eat it quickly. It won't have a chance to collect mildew if you put this out in the summer when it is hot and humid. I normally use them in the wintertime when I feel the birds really need some extra sustenance. Store the blocks in a Ziploc bag in the freezer and refill your suet feeder as needed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Don, lovely photos and thank you so much for the link. Very sweet of you. I had another blogging friend who was a wildlife rehabilitator who asked me to let folks know that the peanut butter should not contain sugar or salt, and she said she wouldn't put flour in it either. Who knew? She also said that feeding a high fat food in the summer is not a good dietary option. The things we learn aye? I think this is why I love blogging so much. We are always learning. Have a good one, and thanks for the link again :) Denise xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I shall also try your recipe and I am looking forward to looking at the celebrity bird link. Denise xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed