Thursday, 26 February 2009

Sky watch friday at North Foreland lighthouse






I cant believe a week has gone by since last Skywatch So much has happened I have been to see the doctors had blood taken seen another nurse and an occupational therapist what a busy life I lead. Atleast I have found out I have an infection so once treatment gets underway I might start feeling better. These pictures were taken a couple of weeks back when we went to Broadstairs and showed you the fish and chips shop on the harbour, To be honest it is all my wifes work,with me not being able to stand she has to take the piccies and I think you will agree she does a good job. The link at the top is to Trinity House who look after all the lighthouses in England . North Foreland was the last light house to be mechanised in 1998 ending a long history of men keeping the lights burning from this spot that started in 1499.There is another lighthouse at Dover called South Foreland and I can recomend the walk along the cliffs there as on a sunny day you can see France and more importantly if you time it right you can pick blackberries and if you go with the right person she can bake blackberry and apple pie before supper time .
The reason for the light house is to warn ships of the Goodwin Sands know as the ship swallowers but I will leave that story for another day.I also forgot to mention this is just above Joss Bay, a great spot for Rock fishing for Cod on a cold November night but mind you footing else you can fall in and yes I speak from experience.

27 comments:

  1. messed up again you will see this twice XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, I used to fish for Cod in the deep bit off the Foreness Rocks many many moons ago. At the time it was 35lbs breaking strain, 6 /o hooks and half a Herring as bait. The trouble is big Cod do seem to be a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely blue

    My SWF entry this week : in HERE. I hope you have time to visit. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures of the lighthouse Don, thanks for sharing.

    Have a great weekend!
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get to feeling better soon, good skywatch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time flies! ;)
    Very nice series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I a clear day I can see all the way to England, but I'm envious of the Fnace view. Unusual lighthouse. Nver been to the Isle of Thanet, always thought it looked like a little sfae haven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love lighthouses. This is a very interesting one. You wife did good ;-) And I might have to steal your "piccies" term.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the lighthouse shots are great - your wife does a fine job with a camera!! Thanks for your kind words on my blog - hope things are looking up for you too! (reluctantfarmchik.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. I enjoyed them.

    Tess (life is beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very beautiful! YOu and your wife make a good team :-) I'm glad you found the source of your problems and can get it treated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a marvelous cloud bank...makes one feel kind of small. LOL I think I need to check out your blog though...I know I like the old picture in the post below this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice shots. The clouds almost look like billows of white smoke surrounding the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize that all of the lighthouses in the UK were managed by one entity. But I suppose the Coast Guard has a hand in all of the lights here, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

    Wonderful essay on the light. And marvelous photos too. (Thank the wife for us won't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely and serene photos.

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanet looks like a lovely place. Lighthouses are one of my passions. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures. I love light houses! Thaks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing boiling clouds, and really set off by the lighthouse. I'm a shipping forecast fan, and your post calls to mind the poetry of that.

    I'll visit again to see more of this new part of England for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What neat photos!
    The clouds behind the lighthouse almost look as though they are coming FROM the building!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Don, you and your wife are a winning combination. She takes great photos and you write so beautifully :) Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Forgot to add that I hope you feel better soon. Hopefully they gave you some meds to get rid of that infection. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos and I love those beautiful billowy clouds. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by. Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is beautiful sky ;) thanks drop at my blogs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great to see a lighthouse photo - you and your good wife make an awesome team. Hope you'll feel better soon. I've been battling winter bugs - viral bronchitis first and now viral tummy bug - this too shall pass, pardon the pun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, your comments mean a lot to me and I love to read them. Defamatary comments will be removed